History

80+ years of service and innovation at Wings Financial.

Overhead drone view of Wings Financial headquarters building

Founded in 1938 by 7 airline employees, Wings Financial has become one of the nation’s largest credit unions. While much has changed in 80+ years, our commitment to unsurpassed member service and superior financial products remains the same. Today, Wings is proud to serve employees throughout the aviation industry, as well as the Twin Cities, Detroit and Seattle/Tacoma metro areas.

1938

Charter for Northwest Airlines employee credit union signed. Loan interest rate was 1% per month (12% APR); share dividend rate, 5% per year – considerably better than local bank rates.

1970

Federal deposit insurance (NCUSIF) added. Seattle office opens to serve growing number of members in area.

1981-86

New products added – many of which were virtually unheard of at the time: direct deposit, IRAs, 24-hour phone access, home PC banking, Visa® credit cards, home equity loans.

1993

Credit union introduces electronic tax filing, in-house first mortgages and investment services (offered through a subsidiary).

2000

New Apple Valley headquarters building opens.

2010

Mergers with Highgrove Community Credit Union and City-County Federal Credit Union add a new branch in St. Paul. Expands Seattle charter to include residents of the Seattle-Tacoma area.

2020 & Beyond

Wings continues to look for ways to improve its member services, including a new website to help members more easily connect with their accounts online.

Sign In Toggle Mobile Menu
Access CU Online
Get Our Mobile App